A marriage license is a very important document in Nebraska, as you cannot have a wedding ceremony without it. Your license is valid only in the state. It is not obligatory to marry in the same county, where you get your marriage license. You can get your license in one county, and marry in another one.
How to get a Nebraska Marriage License?
If you want to obtain a Nebraska Marriage License, you have to go to the local County Clerk’s office and apply for it. And you must provide the below-mentioned things for the application:
- Firstly, you need to present your first, middle, and last name.
- Secondly, you must provide your age.
- Thirdly, you have to present your residency: street, city, town, county, and country
- After that, you need to provide your birthplace. It must be the city and state, or a foreign country.
- Then you have to present your date of birth.
- You need to provide your parent’s full names. Your mother’s maiden name will be required, too.
- You must provide your parent’s birthplace: the city and state, or a foreign country.
- After that, you must present your Social Security Number.
- You need to write your telephone number.
- And also, you need to present your Marital history. Your last marriage end date and reason will be required.
- You have to provide your ethnicity, whether you are Latino or Hispanic.
- And lastly, you need to provide your race. You have to choose one.
- White or Caucasian.
- Black or African American
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
Your ethnicity, race, social security number, and marital history will not appear on the license.
You have to meet all the requirements before marrying.
- Firstly, you cannot marry your first cousins.
- Secondly, you cannot marry a particular family member like parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and so on.
What document will you need to get a Nebraska Marriage License?
If you want to apply for a license, you have to provide the required documents.
- The first document you need to present is proof of identity, which includes your photo and shows your age. A birth certificate cannot be proof of identity. You can use your passport, driver’s license, green card, and so on.
- If the applicant is 17 or 18 years old, they will need a notarized parental consent form. The parents or legal guardians must sign the form in order to have permission to marry in Nebraska.
Are there any age requirements to obtain a Nebraska Marriage License?
There are different age requirements for getting a marriage license in Nebraska.
- If you are 19 years old or older, you can legally marry in Nebraska without parental consent.
- If you are 17 or 18 years old, you can marry but only with the written consent of your parents or guardian.
- And if you are 16 years old or younger, you cannot legally marry in Nebraska.
How much is a Nebraska Marriage License?
As you know the cost of obtaining a marriage license varies from state to state. The Nebraska Legislature set $25 for a Nebraska marriage license. This cost is only for a marriage license. If you want to get a copy, you have to pay separately $9 for each of you.
Who can solemnize a marriage in Nebraska?
A marriage can be solemnized in different ways:
- A judge, whether active or retired, can solemnize a marriage in Nebraska
- Then the clerk magistrate can solemnize a marriage
- A minister can do it too
- And a religious society can solemnize a Nebraska marriage
You cannot solemnize your own marriage, you have to assign an officiant. Officiants can have residency in other states.
Does a Nebraska Marriage License have a waiting period?
The license does not have a waiting period but it used to have in 1998. Now you will get a license on the day when you apply for it. You can marry any time after getting it. Your marriage license will stay valid for one year.
Do you need a blood test for getting a Marriage License?
Only in Montana, you need to take a blood test. You do not need to take a blood test for rubella immunity in order to get a Nebraska Marriage license.
When can you marry after your divorce?
If you want to marry again after your divorce, there is a waiting period in order to get a Nebraska marriage license. So after your divorce or remarriage, you have to wait for 6 months to marry again.
Do you need witnesses for your wedding ceremony?
The law demands witnesses for a marriage ceremony. The number of them differs in states. In Nebraska, you must have two witnesses at your wedding ceremony. And their names will appear on the Nebraska marriage license. There is no age limit for being a witness in a wedding ceremony, so minors can also be witnesses.
Are proxy marriages allowed in Nebraska?
Proxy marriages are not a common thing. So you cannot have a proxy marriage in Nebraska, as the law does not let it be. Both of you must be present in the process.
Is there a residency requirement for getting a Marriage License in Nebraska?
A residency requirement is not obligatory in Nebraska. You do not need to be a resident in Nebraska in order to obtain a License.